top of page
High Resolution Long Shot.jpg

A BRIEF 

history.

Building_Summer_NoLogo.jpg

A BRIEF HISTORY OF HOW

KINSMAN CAME TO BE.

The township of Kinsman is known as number seven in the Connecticut Land Company. It had 16,664 acres and cost $12,903.23. It is situated on two creeks, Stratton and Pymatuning. It crosses Route 87 where the old familiar Cone Bridge once stood.  

John Kinsman, for whom the town was named, made his first trip to Ohio in 1799.  He came on horseback from Connecticut across the Allegheny mountains through Pittsburgh. His companion was Simon Perkins, his brother-in-law, who is considered the founder of Warren, Ohio.  

 

John Kinsman returned to Connecticut and returned with his family in 1804.  He also brought several men to assist him in the building of homes,  By  1805 as many as 50 families had settled in this area.

 

The memory of John Kinsman will live on indefinitely through his contribution of our town as well as many of our historic buildings which are preserved today for future generations. 

KINSMAN TOWN HALL 

Now home to Good Intentions Market & Cafe,  Kinsman's Town Hall was built in 1870. Town Hall was used to host elections, dinners, and even meetings for the Farmer's Institute.

statue.jpg

REBECCA & JOHN KINSMAN 

Designed by artist Michael Kraus, this statue is seated outside the Kinsman Public Library. Rebecca Perkins Kinsman, wife to John Kinsman, for whom the town is named, is illustrated seated in a chair with her son, John, standing behind her with one hand resting on the back of the chair.

taken from kinsmantownship.org

bottom of page